Monday, January 16, 2012

Quilting Inspiration by Denyse Schmidt



A few years ago I rediscovered my love for quilts and all the comforts that they bring. My curiosity and interest came in the form of the book Quilt by Denyse Shmidt. Her modern take on quilt patterns, color pairings, and simplicity really resonated with my love to create something functional, timeless, and authentic. Around the time I picked up this book I also happened to have a collection of tee shirts, in similar neutral colors of cream, white, grey, and tan that I had a feeling would all pair well together. So fueled with inspiration by this book and a season of Project Runway, I set off into my first quilting adventure. I posted about the finished project a few years ago and included some of the lessons I learned in the process. Patience, finding beauty in the flaws just to name a few. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat and I can't wait until inspiration strikes again! Which makes me curious to know, have you ever taken on a long term project that was so worth the wait?


* First Photos & Patterns by: Denyse Shmidt
* What's In Your Toolbox Interview by Design Sponge

3 comments:

Tori said...

I've had the single girl quilt pattern for the longest and am a bit intimidated by it but I'm sure I'll get around to it one day. I love the fact the you used your tee shirt collection to inspire your quilt!

Theresa / InspirationCOOP said...

I love Denyse Schmidt quilts. She really does have a beautiful, modern take on quilts. I once knitted a blanket. Took some time and patience, and it was definitely imperfect. All great lessons, for sure.

Courtney said...

Liz! I totally remember all those years ago when you first starting cutting up those super soft t-shirt for your quilt. I'm so happy you finished it-looks just like you.