Sunday, April 4, 2010

DIY: Business Cards

I'm always looking for thrifty, creative ways to promote me and my photo business. I posted about this DIY a while back, but wanted to share it with a special lady and with all of you lovely readers!
I'm excited to share this DIY project with you to help you create your custom business cards!

I'm a big fan of finding new print materials to play around with and these Avery clear labels + manila shipping tags are all you really need to create cards that look as stylishly presentable as you are!Enjoy making these in a wide variety of sizes (because the clear labels are actually 8.5" x 11" sheets of printable goodness!) Make an afternoon of designing, printing, and putting these together.BONUS: I've included these labels as a free printable download in my Freebies and Tutorial section located on the right side blog.

---------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 1: Design & Layout

Using Photoshop or another photo editing program create a new 4 x 6 sized document. I find that designing one label in this smaller document size is easier and allows you to save a smaller file for future revisions. After I'm happy with my design and type placement I create an 8 x 10 document (this is a little smaller than the 8.5 x 11 Avery paper size). Copy & paste your finished label into this new document and arrange your label to desired printable size. (see photo below) For my labels I printed them 3.5 x 1- 3/4 to fit onto my shipping labels. Continue to copy & paste your label until you fill your 8 x 10 document. I was able to fit 17 onto one page. Make sure to leave enough space in between each label to allow for cutting.(Make sure to save this layout file, to update your info, and to make more cards later ;)


------------------------------------------------------

STEP 2: Printing

Once you've completed your finished layout, adjust your printers settings to match your paper size & paper type. For this printing material I used the paper size 8.5 x 11 and the setting for luster paper. Let the sheet dry for at least 15 minutes for the ink to really settle into the paper.(The colors may look a little washed than they do on your screen, but that's only because the paper is clear. Once your ready to apply these to the shipping tags, the color should be as bold as you your screen). It printed beautifully for me, no smears or ink runs!

------------------------------------------------------

STEP 3: Cut/Peel & Paste

Once your sheet is dry, I recommend using a straight edge and exacto knife to trim away the excess white around your labels. Cut as close as you can to the labels edge as possible.



Gather your shipping labels and freshly trimmed labels. Peel the backing off your printed label (yes, these are like stickers!) Place and secure onto the shipping label. Neat, huh?

------------------------------------------------------


STEP 4: Add Personal Touch

Add your finishing touch to your personalized cards. I used a simple brown half inch ribbon to complete mine. No more excuses to not keep any business cards handy! These look so lovely, you'll always keep a stash of them in your purse! Get ready to start handing them out, you'll be so excited to!
I'd love to see what goodies you come up with! Enjoy & happy promoting!



3 comments:

Courtney said...

Awesome! I am so glad that you posted it. Now it should really kick my ass to get things going!
I'm so glad that we had time to met up this weekend.

Liz said...

Me too Courtney! We should plan to get together sooner than later ;) I hope you can make it to craft night!

Waseem said...

like the idea and all the info..i might need this when use for the design of Metal business cards.